Sunday, March 4, 2018

Stitches West 2018

I have gone out to the West Coast and returned, completing another successful Stitches West. This was #5, and it was just as fun as the first four, although a little bit different.

Firstly, though, I went to visit my old friends in Tacoma. I flew into SeaTac and the one big thing on my bucket list was to go to the Seattle Art Museum. Well, of course, cause it was me doing the traveling, the weather was stormy and cold when I arrived. Really cold. Like in the 20-30’s cold. But I was determined to get to SAM and get there I did. It was fraught with peril as I dodged blowing business placards, collapsed scaffolding, and city buses. I never could find the SAM parking lot,  but did find a spot just up the street and blew down to the museum.

It was wonderful.

I saw some crazy things there—like the haunting masks of the PNW indian tribes-

DSC01251Whoa, that’s quite a posse.

DSC01252Yikes.

I saw this mouse on a person. It’s a study of perspective. At least I think that’s what they said….

DSC01254I liked it a lot

This is a shipwreck off the coast of AK

DSC01258

I like pictures that are real like this. Landscapes especially.

I didn’t take any pictures of the  visiting exhibit but I will say it was wonderful and here’s the link.

In the lobby they have the giant woven tree…

DSC01257DSC01253

and as I was leaving I had to snap a picture of this long hallway

DSC01263

Next time, when I’m not so frazzled, I hope to stay longer, although I was wandering for almost two hours….

I was at Nina’s and, as usual, we laughed the day away after she got home that afternoon. It was the Olympics that week and we couldn’t wait to see Johnny Weir’s hair. Along with some of the other sports.

lipinski-weir-2-2000

They are tooo adorable. And I liked their commentary. Along with Adam Rippon, who brought some artistry back to figure skating. He also tweets like no other. He can’t explain witchcraft…..

I saw many friends whilst in Tacoma/Seattle-

Nancyba

IMG_1715

Amberlina

DSC01266

Kara, Melissa, and the funniest Lorie you’ll ever know.

DSC01268

And, of course, it wouldn’t be a trip to Tacoma without Nina—the best of the besties. Friends for almost 50 years now, AND, we have the exact same opinions about everything and everybody. It’s uncanny….

DSC01272

To be fair here, I was dressed up and ready to go out and Nina was planning a work day at home. Although I thought she looked great she wasn’t so sure.

The only downside to my few days in WA was the fact that the temps were exactly the same in Tacoma as in Rochester AND I experienced some lovely snow, cause I couldn’t get that at home.

DSC01265IMG_1713

Danged but I was annoyed. It didn’t stick to the road but did stay on the grass for a few days. Cold + damp + wind = misery.

I returned my car and had a little shopping with Martha before our trip, the following day, to Santa Clara and Stitches West, 2018. Yep and all the yeps. This year we stayed at the Biltmore, about two miles from the convention center. Not nearly as convenient but quieter and we had nice walks in the morning over to the venue. (the desk people at our hotel told us we couldn’t walk to the venue on the bike path. They were aghast that we would even consider walking. That’s Cali for ya, they love to drive….)DSC01274

That sun in Bright.  But did I mention the temps were 10-20 degrees below normal? You’re welcome California.

DSC01275

We had lunch with friends, took classes, went to the market, attended the fashion show, bought yarn and other stuff, and just had some splendid fun.

Annual Stitches Champers

DSC01276

Fashion Show

DSC01292DSC01296

DSC01294DSC01299

And our groupers!

DSC01304

Knitters do drink a lot, I have to say. I had this specialty cocktail I could have sipped on for hours--

DSC01279

--except it cost 13 bucks a pop. Yes, that’s a little glass. It’s posing with Martha’s sock blank from Duren Dye Works.

One sad note, Abundant Earth Fibers was driving down from Seattle and had their trailer with their entire inventory stolen. They went to bed at the hotel, and got up and the trailer was gone. I’m sure the thieves were surprised when they got it open. Hopefully, they will appreciate the fiber. They still came and repped their small family owned operation but still. The knitters were appalled.

It was over much too soon and even while we were there we were talking about plans for next year. We’ve already extended the stay and extra day (Wednesday) but maybe next year we stay till Sunday……AND do VRBO so we can get our own food. I swear I spent twice as much this year just on food and drinks. That’s just not right. Of course, it’s Northern California where money flies out of one’s pockets at an alarming rate.

And now I’m back. It’s my birthday tomorrow so Friday night was a little celebration with the friends from the hood--

DSC01306

There we are. And here’s the delicious part

IMG_1745

All in all a great night with great friends.

In the meantime, I’m just hanging out and spending free time at home now. Now that I don’t have to spend all my hours on homework I feel a bit at loose ends. But I’ll get used to it. I’m getting some serious knitting and quilting in , in addition to sorting and getting ready for other events and trips and travel. We’ll just see what comes up.

Until then, I’ll continue to wear my cat as a fashion accessory.

IMG_1692

No comments: