Friday, August 1, 2014

A Couple of Things Since We’ve Been Back

So, after returning to the fold, I have kept my self occupied.

First of all there’s work from home. There are also barriers to work from home-

IMG_0689

That is not my work computer. My work computer is here--

IMG_0720

Sort of a problem any where you look.

And then there’s this-

IMG_0685 IMG_0683

See? No, because she’s always moving and running along the desk and interrupting in all sort of kinetic energy kind of ways.

Oh, and somewhere in the hood, at any time of the day, someone is mowing their lawn. It’s truly awe inspiring and loud.

I can’t work like this.

But I manage.

Somehow.

The following weekend after I came back, the weekend of July 4th-but on July 5th, we went to A Prairie Home Companion 40th Anniversary show at Macalester College.

The day was sunny and sort of warm, but then got cloudy and I thought it might rain. But in the nick of time the sun came out and the day could not have been better.

We sat far in the back, under a big shady tree.

This is the stage close up

IMG_2538 IMG_2540

This is the stage with the PHC regulars with my telephoto lens

IMG_2579

And, as always, this is the cute kid distracting me throughout the show.

IMG_2546

I know, right? I wanted to take more pictures but didn’t want to appear like the crazy child stalker lady. But she was very cute. And ever so entertaining.

Anyway, I took lots of pictures of the acts and then couldn’t remember who they were now that I am blogging.

The Warm Up Acts-

IMG_2542

Old Crow Medicine Show-Really, really good. They were part of the warm up-played for an hour before the show-then played during the show. Excellent.

IMG_2548

Buy their new album-Remedy. Shameless plug but they are that good.

And of course, Garrison Keillor. I didn’t get any really good pictures of him. He had to be sweating up there as he had his suit on and the sun was pretty intense.

IMG_2571

Dave and I had a ton of fun. Traffic was easy-up and back an hour each way. I’m not used to that. Although an hour and back from Seattle is pretty par for the course, and half the distance….just saying.

The following weekend it was the Basilica Block Party at the Basilica of St. Mary's in Minneapolis. I went with my partner in crime, Cathy.

We went to DSW first, and I bought a bathing suit-but not at DSW-at Ellsmore-totally another story. We did eventually get to the Basillica

That place is breathtaking-

IMG_0690

 IMG_0691

I only had my phone for a camera so I didn’t get the best pictures-these don’t do it justice. I didn’t know I could take pictures or I would have taken more of the statuary and other symbols of the Catholic Church. I also learned a lot about what it means to be a Basilica. Not everyone can be one you know.

AND-here’s the only picture of Cathy and me together.

Pope

With the Pope. Total Photo Op. Don’t hate us. Cathy is holding his hand, by the way. I’m sort giving him a little goose.

All in good faith, my children, all in good faith.

This day started out POURING rain, thunder, lightening. We were like-oh no, what should we wear, bring, do??? You can’t go in and out so you have to plan.

But by the time we got there it had stopped raining and within 45 minutes of opening at 5 PM, the skies cleared and it was the perfect night for a concert. Of which there were many musical acts.

The two we really wanted to see were--

1) Ingrid Michaelson

Fabulous. And she’s pretty cute. Sang good songs, did a sweet cover of Rude, and of course, Girls Chase Boys. Nice.

This is the stage-check out those blue skies-

IMG_0692

We got up to the side of the stage. It was so cool.

IMG_0699 IMG_0705

I took some scenery of the Basilica too-

IMG_0696

Hard to get a good picture with lots of people and things in the way.

“Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain…”

IMG_0694 - Copy

Seriously, who is that giant guy with a cross? Not sure. A little creepy behind the rock and roll stage. Dave thinks it’s St Francis. Why would it be St. Francis? Who knows. Anyway, I found it amusing, a little disturbing, but amusing none the less. That’s all that matters.

The second thing we came to see--

2) Train

Oh yeah-and what a show they put on.

Gave it their all for an hour and a half.

It was dark by then, and this is probably the best picture I got-which isn’t great-

IMG_0708

But check this out-

IMG_0710

That there, above Train is the full moon. I hate to use the word awesome, but it was totally awesome.

Cathy and I were singing our hearts out, like the rest of the audience. The lead singer, Pat Monahan (who, btw, lives in Issaquah. Coulda been neighbors-oh and neither of us had any idea that was his name till later) put on such an energetic show. We were totally gob smacked. There were audience members on the stage, he was taking selfies with the audience. It was crazy fun.

Another really perfect night.

We decided we will do that again next year. It’s on the books. And we are going to research everyone’s name. For future reference.

So, even though I just got back, it’s been super fun and busy. Weather had been, for the most part, very un-Minnesotan. I mean, low humidity? dry? 70’s?

Ca-raazzzy. But loving it.

Start work at Pine Needles again tomorrow (08/02-is it really August already? Huh)

Looking back in time, I got some pictures from the Rock n Roll-

Julie sent me the top one-

Rock n Roll 1 

And I had this one sent to me-

RNR2

It’s the Big Wheel!

I think, dare I say, I’m almost caught up.

Except for a couple more things.

IMG_0677 

This is not as comfy as a nice warm laptop.

No comments: